Mags & Comics
Latest New Releases
Doctor Who Magazine Special Edition #40
Doctor Who Magazine Special: The Art of Doctor Who
The characters and scenarios from Doctor Who have been inspiring artists since 1963. The latest special edition of Doctor Who Magazine celebrates the best of their contributions to both the programme and the vast range of licensed products that rely on their skill.
“This is how the story of Doctor Who unfolded in the eyes of the artists who interpreted, shaped and represented the show,” says editor Marcus Hearn. “In fact, the story begins before the first episode was even transmitted – we have articles examining the creation of the Doctor Who logo and the filming of the original title sequence.”
This 100-page Special is packed full of stunning reproductions of original artwork from the Dalek annuals, the Doctor Who annuals, Doctor Who Weekly, the DVD range, the Radio Times, Target Books, TV Century 21, the VHS releases and more.
Other highlights include:
- Articles covering the history of graphic design and illustration in Doctor Who, from the early 1960s to the present day.
- Award-winning graphic designer Bernard Lodge explains how he created the series’ first four title sequences.
- Concept artists Peter McKinstry and Matt Savage share their portfolios from 21st-century Doctor Who.
- Interviews with Target Books artists Chris Achilleos, Jeff Cummins, Bill Donohoe, Roy Knipe, Tony Manero, Andrew Skilleter and Nick Spender.
- Interviews with comics artists including Mike Collins, Martin Geraghty, Dave Gibbons, Richard Piers Rayner, John Ridgway, Nick Roche, John Ross, Adrian Salmon, Lee Sullivan and Alice Zhang.
- Interviews with VHS and DVD cover artists Lee Binding, Colin Howard and Alister Pearson.
Issue Number: 40
On sale: 16th April 2014